Thursday, October 22, 2009

Vegetarian adventures in this WORLD

I love food...I dream...I plot...I experiment..and then when I travel..begins the struggle.
I have been vegetarian..always....and I am ecstatic that I am....:)
Food around the world is devoted to meat eaters...India is a vegetarian heaven...another reason I consider myself lucky to be born in that land (among several other)...but what about other places??..In places where English is not widely spoken, I make sure I learn the words for 'vegetarian', 'no meat no fish'...

In Spain, I was hungry a lot...and managed to get something...here are some memorable foods I remember (Vegetarian in Spanish -vegetariano pronounced with a B instead of V)
Tortilla (potato omelette thing)..over and over again
The best mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and subtly spiced....flavorful
Salted Peppers fried in oil
Mango yoghurt...slurp!

In Thailand, N helped me....(Jeh is Thai for vegetarian/vegetables)
Some of the foods...
Fried rice with vegetables - not as good as Indo-Chinese available in apna desh..:)
Papaya salad---green raw papaya with chillies, lemon juice, peanuts...tangy..the best salad ever!
The awesome tropical fruits of Thailand...my favorite is Longkong....enormous, juicy lychees, mangosteens and of course the smelly fruit durian ...I ate a durian holding my breath..it has mango-like consistency but the overpowering smell made it difficult for me to appreciate it more....my sense of smell being highly acute..

Then the memorable time in Mae Sot (border town in North Thailand close to Burma)...
Tea leaf salad--- young tea leaves, tomato, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, fried garlic, & lemon..tie with Papaya salad...these salads are the best
Tamarind tofu---can anything go wrong with the delightful Indian date- tamarind?...the original date is not a patch...:)
Hot thin rotis smeared with condensed milk in the dhabha near the Mosque...yummm..

Cambodia

Banana and pineapple pancakes

1 comment:

  1. As I struggle to find words to praise you for travelling to places I can only dream of, I just want to say, for vegetarians like us it sure is a challange. Your blog is "mast". Loving reading it and looking at the pics.

    ReplyDelete