Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sweet Spree

I am on a sweet spree...I made besan ladoos and badam katli a few days ago.

Besan ladoos:
I cooked besan (chickpea flour) on medium heat till it emitted its characteristic odor. Then I added ghee (the more the merrier...:)...actually 1: 0.5 proportion/ besan: ghee) and cooked some more till it was brownish. I had to be careful and I kept stirring and did not raise the temperature. Then I added sugar (amount depending on taste...I like it just right). I kept tasting it to achieve the right balance. Then I stirred some more and finally added some slivered almond. Stirred and heated some more. Let it cool....Viola!...pressed into the ladoo form (circular)...Relished it once a day..:)

Badam katli..
This was even simpler. I soaked slivered almonds overnight. The next day, I put these almond in a blender with a little milk for a paste-like consistency.
Then I transferred the almond paste onto a skillet with sugar (according to taste..balance is the key again..:)..I keep tasting it. I cooked on low to medium heat for some time. It took me about 25 minutes...stirring regularly to avoid charring. It formed a soft lump. I tasted it and it seemed ready (very scientific I know..:). Let it cool. Then I pressed it into rectangular form (the rhombus shape was difficult for me)...tasted like marzipan.
HAPPINESS.

3 comments: