Saturday, October 24, 2009

River Sutra

River Sutra by Gita Mehta

I just read River Sutra based on stories centered on the Narmada river. I learnt new things about this river. The Sanskrit name means 'giver of pleasure'...and even a more provocative name.
It has never changed its course in hundreds and thousands of years.
The writing style evokes a vivid image of green mountains, gushing currents of the river in monsoons...tribal beliefs and legends...and also beliefs of Jainism, Sufism, music, Shiva all together...it is a heady and intoxicating mix...

Memorable lines:

From the Jain monk who has renounced the world
'Human heart has only one secret...the capacity to love'

Imrat, the blind musical prodigy singing Rumi's verse:
"The heat of your presence
Blinds my eyes
Blisters my skin
Shrivels my flesh.

Do not turn in loathing from me.
O Beloved, can you not see
Only Love disfigures me?"

Silk disguises strength in softness; water erodes the unforgiving nature of stones.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog Naureen...makes me feel so calm and peaceful as if i'm reading a book while sailing in a boat in the middle of nowhere and feeling the warmth of sun on my cheeks!!! I'm in love...with ur blog :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very flattered Diltaj...:)..thanks for the generosity!
    I have started to like this..got started after reading some engrossing ones.
    I saw your blog (love the name too ..;)..feels just like home)..with lots of fun stuff..another one added to my list.

    ReplyDelete